On 14 Sep 2014, at 12:59, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:

> Just think about it: Pharo itself should have translated menus. So we need
> *something* in the system anyway.
> Why then not make it good and make it the one that everyone is using?

Yes, and actually, Gettext is just about the support for the Gettext format [1].
So, you can see it as an extension of the existing Localization system that is
already in the image and it’s probably a good idea to internalize it completely.

The LocaleID and NaturalLanguageTranslator classes in the package are the same
(and more) as those already in the image. So, why not just internalize it?
I think there are a couple of people who are willing to maintain it: Hilaire,
Usman and myself (who are the current maintainers of the package). Maybe this
discussion should move to pharo-dev ?

There’s not so much to the Gettext package actually. It just deserves a bit of
a cleaning.
The hard part is: make your applications use the localization and create
translation files…

Johan

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/