I also find the way some problems are reported quite disturbing. How much
testing did you do ? On which platforms ?

I can do this (in Pharo 3) without any problems (we're talking about arbitrary
Unicode characters in path names):

('/tmp' asFileReference / 'été') ensureCreateDirectory.
'/tmp/été' asFileReference exists.
('/tmp/été' asFileReference / 'Ελλάδα.txt') writeStreamDo: [ :out |
  out << 'What about Greece ?' ].
('/tmp/été' asFileReference / 'Ελλάδα.txt') exists.
('/tmp/été' asFileReference / 'Ελλάδα.txt') contents.

And in a terminal, I get:

$ ls /tmp/été/Ελλάδα.txt
/tmp/été/Ελλάδα.txt

$ cat !$
cat /tmp/été/Ελλάδα.txt
What about Greece ?

This is on Mac OS X.

So this part fundamentally works in the image and on one VM. There might of
course be problems in how paths are used in certain places or on certain
VM/platforms.

Sven