Hi,

I totally agree with what Martin says here. In my case I was interested in Smalltalk for long time, but the game tutorial didn't catch my attention. I planned several projects to learn, but none of them where easy to start with. It was not until the expansion of Moose from software analysis to data analysis and visualization and the idea of moldable tools that I found my way to learn the program by solving a small but non trivial problem (as Sergio suggested in this thread also).

Now I'm making my interactive documentation platform for data narratives and visualization. I can start small and hopefully with this tool introduce newbies to the internals of Pharo/Smalltalk as we need them. It's a still buggie but useful tool for me.

My way yo introduce others to this will be by workshops in our local hackerspace. We're documenting everything and creating non-English docs for Spanish speakers. We will share them when they're in better shape.

Cheers,

Offray