+1

All Pharo discussions have taken place on this mailing for a long time. Even after starting pharo-users, for people who were already longtime readers of this list favored this list for any and all discussions concerning Pharo. It will be a culture shift for longtime Pharo users, lurkers. It will take some effort and some time but it would be worthwhile for the long term health of the community. I think it would be a good thing to start encouraging off pharo-dev topic posts toward pharo-users and begin the culture change.

-1 on StackOverflow

Every time I search for something I am trying to learn or discover and I find a question exactly matching what I want to know. It it shut down by the moderators. What I want to know is valid. But it doesn't match their limited view of the world so it gets moderated. I continue searching elsewhere because it is still information I need and an answer I want even if SO doesn't find it valid. Ugh!

Looking at the Pharo section on SO I find it states that there are 436 messages tagged with Pharo. When I do this search on Google: "closed as" pharo site:stackoverflow.com I get 288 results. closed as off-topic, closed as not constructive, closed as primarily opinion based, closed as too broad, ...

Example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27757766/how-to-wrap-a-morph-into-a-window-in-pharo-v3

This person asked a question and it was closed. But guess what. I imagine they still really wanted an answer. Even it it doesn't fit SO's format.

And mostly (my guess from what I saw) closed by people who are not part of this community. SO they are imposing their community rules on our community. I am not real big on that.

I also find SO not as good for building community. Community is very important. Especially for smaller groups like Pharo. I haven't spent a lot of time here in a while. But all of the long time readers will be familiar with who I am. The new readers not yet. I can jump in on this list and read new stuff and am familiar with the players. This is a great asset.

I have explored learning F#. One of things I have struggled with is where is the community? Where do I engage in conversation? I love that Pharo has a central location for community. These mailing lists. If I have a question. If I want to have a conversation. I know where to do so. I do not want to see that fragmented into mailing list + whatever forum some other person happens to like for the moment. And you can't have this conversation on SO. Or many others which happen here.

Just my opinion and my experience. It is worth what you paid. :)

Jimmie