okay.. thanks your all your input! i have gotten this to work..

i tried pulling the files from the server, but was getting an issue with
'pharo' not found.. which was odd in that it was in the directory, and it
had execute permissions. it had several executable files in it, but i am
not sure what was wrong with it. i didn't stick around too long..

i then grabbed it from the PPA..

i installed pharo-vm-core, rather than the launcher..

this gave me pharo-vm-nox. .which i assumed meant that it was headless..

i fired this up, and everything works just fine.. the web interface works
correctly, as does the RFB interface..

looks like we're good to go..

i do think that this should be documented in full somewhere.

my offer still stands to write/update/host such info..

thanks!