Martin,

> On 29 Jan 2015, at 06:23, Martin Bähr <mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at>
> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> when debugging a zinc server with tests structured as in
> http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/build-and-deploy-1st-webapp/
> i am wondering how to best debug errors in the server while running tests.
>
> one test makes a ZnClient connection to a testserver started from the same
> test.
> the test fails with the server returning a 500 error.
>
> next i get an opportunity to debug the test, but what i really want is to to
> debug the server itself.
>
> one way is to run the client request manually from the browser, while the real
> server is in debug mode. that works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't
> because there is a difference between the test-server and the real server.
>
> i found that i can set the test server into debug mode too, but that is not
> very satisfying because it causes the test to hang and lock until a timeout is
> reached and only then the debugger pops up. i'd like the debugger pop up
> immediately, let me debug and fix the error, and then have the tests proceed.
>
> is there a way to do that?

Writing a unit test using both an HTTP client and server is already a bit
tricky sometimes, having it fail is always ugly. This is more a threading issue
than anything else.

I usually will do as you describe: rerun manually with a server where debug is
enabled.

It could be an idea to try to improve the situation, but it won't be easy. To
enable a debug/continue style the client request should first not time out
(which is not a good idea for unattended tests), then something should be done
about the UI thread.

Sven