Please open a bug entry that we do not forget and yes we need displayString

Well, not now. In Pharo 5 :)

Doru

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Tudor Girba <tu...@tudorgirba.com <mailto:tu...@tudorgirba.com>> wrote:

    Indeed. In GT, we introduced gtDisplayString which is meant to be
    used as a default brief string representation.

    I think that we could promote this to displayString now that it is
    in the Pharo image.

    Cheers,
    Doru

    On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Sean P. DeNigris
    <s...@clipperadams.com <mailto:s...@clipperadams.com>> wrote:

        Ben Coman wrote
        > Now the followup question is whether its natural to expect something
        > better from #asString

        I feel like #asString is such a general question that no
        answer would be
        satisfying. What string representation should be returned?
        'file://'?
        '/path/to'? And what to do with memory file systems? It's been
        mentioned a
        few times on the list that we should all be more disciplined
        in sending e.g.
        #displayString vs. #printString instead of #asString. The more
        I hear that
        argument, the more sense it makes to me.

        -----
        Cheers,
        Sean