After a lot of experimenting and unsuccessful attempts to use both defer:
and addDeferredStartupAction: (because I'm probably using it wrong) I ended
up with

[ myCode ] fork

This has not only the wanted behavior of executing after the UI has
rendered, but also doesn't freeze the UI when loading external packages. In
fact the loader itself seems much responsive.

Peter