I think we've safely established that the bottleneck is disk operations.

Quoting from previous emails...

store := [
method putSource: code inFile: 2
withPreamble: [:f | f cr; nextPut: $!; nextChunkPut: 'Behavior method'; cr].
].

machine 1:
Debian 64bit (laptop)
store bench. 41604 per second

Windows XP 32bit (virtualbox; host Debian)
store bench. 286 per second

Ubuntu 32bit (virtualbox; host Debian)
store bench. 36604 per second

machine 2: