Thanks a lot Torsten for this writing. In [1] you can find my annotated version using hypothesis[2]

[1] https://via.hypothes.is/https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/multiple-desktops-for-pharo-5cbc46f3179f
[2] https://hypothes.is/

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/08/15 20:19, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
Julien Delplanque provided this week a goodie to switch between
"desktops" - but his initial solution was more or less hiding windows
and not really switching between real Pharo worlds/desktops.

I gave him some tips what could be done on the pharo-user list. Havent heard
from him afterwards.

Now I was able to spend a few hours on this topic myself and implemented
a full multiple desktop solution myself.

This works in Pharo 5 only (currently) and requires latest VM (at least on
Windows)
from files.pharo.org to get the keyboard shortcuts right.

To try:

   Gofer new
     smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'DesktopManager';
     configuration;
     loadDevelopment.

The goodie has some nice features like keyboard navigation, world menu
integration and even a custom spotter with preview of the desktops.

Quick start:
===========
  - evaluate the above expression in a Pharo 5 image
  - check the world menu "Desktop"
  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new
desktop
  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the
overview
  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate
to the previous desktop
  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to
the next desktop

The code is hopefully a good example on how to build a custom spotter,
shortcuts, inspector extensions, ...
Additionally all this is described in a new article including screenshots
and a guide on how to use this new goodie:

    https://medium.com/@astares/multiple-desktops-for-pharo-5cbc46f3179f

Actually the article took more time to write than coding but I hope
it helps explaining Pharo and why it is a power tool.

Project is on http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/DesktopManager
Article and code is still subject to change.

Have fun
T.