On 18-01-16 10:27, Thierry Goubier wrote:
Hi Kilon,

Le 17/01/2016 22:25, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
Fuel is great indeed and very convenient ,will definetly use this
approach if I end up dealing with a lot of PNGs and experience some
serious delays, but for now, lazy loading with some forking should be
enough to make this instantaneous .  I prefer to stick with pngs because
it easy to update them and version control them via git and github

I think there is a way to cache your pngs, their creation time, and load
them only once upon installation of your tool, and update them in memory
only if they have been changed on disk.

I suspect all media heavy software have tactics to work around the same
performance issues: multi-resource formats (zip or fuel) and the same
kind of caching (load only once when installing the software).

Yes, and combining multiple resources in one file to increase the likelihood that they will be on the same track of a disk instead of on 60 different ones. In web software there is the same problem with multiple images. The browser doesn't give you many threads to download them in parallel. If you only get two and have to download 60 images from the other side of the ocean...
https://css-tricks.com/css-sprites/

Stephan