And more extended test:

Smalltalk garbageCollect; garbageCollect.
r1:=[FileLocator imageDirectory / 'test.fuel' readStreamDo: [ :s |
s binary.
fromFuel := (FLMaterializer newDefault materializeFrom: s) root]] benchFor:
2 seconds.

Smalltalk garbageCollect; garbageCollect.
r2 := [FileLocator imageDirectory / 'test.bmp' readStreamDo: [ :s |
s binary.
fromBMP := BMPReadWriter new on: s; nextImage]] benchFor: 2 seconds.

Smalltalk garbageCollect; garbageCollect.
r3 := [FileLocator imageDirectory / 'test.png' readStreamDo: [ :s |
s binary.
fromPNG := PNGReadWriter new on: s; nextImage]] benchFor: 2 seconds.

Smalltalk garbageCollect; garbageCollect.
r4:= [
fromAthens := (AthensCairoSurface
        createFromFile: (FileLocator imageDirectory / 'test.png') pathString
        ifFailed: []) asForm.
] benchFor: 2 seconds.

{ r1. r2. r3. r4 }.
 "an Array(a BenchmarkResult(5,537 iterations in 2 seconds 2 milliseconds.
2,766 per second) a BenchmarkResult(2,193 iterations in 2 seconds 2
milliseconds. 1,095 per second) a BenchmarkResult(443 iterations in 2
seconds 5 milliseconds. 220.948 per second) a BenchmarkResult(1,033
iterations in 2 seconds 3 milliseconds. 515.726 per second))"