I am not sure I understand the question correctly, but the closest equivalent
in Pharo is

readInto: collection startingAt: offset count: requestedCount
  "Read requestedCount elements into collection starting at offset,
   returning the number of elements read, there could be less elements
available."

There are others, but this is a fundamental one.