I'm not ready to do this yet, but just surveying interest.  I'm
thinking of creating a Minecraft server using Pharo.

My kids are enthusiastic about playing Minecraft and I think its a
great platform to grow their creativity and cognitive skills per [1].
Much better than passively watching TV!

[1] http://minemum.com/minecraft-educational

I'm particularly interested in using Minecraft modding as a platform
to teach programming to my kids.  I had high hopes for the
Scratch-like interface of learntomod.com, but I found it awkward and
unsuitable.  Other options for writing mods include Java[2],
Javascript [3] or Lua[4][5].  For now I'll probably settle on Lua, but
I'd prefer to be teaching them with Phratch and later directly with
Pharo.

[2]
https://blogs.oracle.com/arungupta/entry/introducing_kids_to_java_programming
[3] http://scriptcraftjs.org/
[4] http://www.computercraft.info/wiki/Main_Page
[5] https://book.cuberite.org/

Ignoring client-side modding that IIUC is only applicable to single
player mode, mods are implemented on the server.  Servers are written
in several languages [6] and it would be nice to make one in Pharo,
with  Woden providing a basic 3D viewer as a management tool.
Documentation available here  [7]

[6] http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Custom_servers
[7] http://wiki.vg/How_to_Write_a_Server

cheers -ben

P.S. Along the way I found several pointers at the following being
competent info on optimising voxel engines...
http://0fps.net/2015/01/23/collision-detection-part-3-benchmarks/
http://0fps.net/2012/01/14/an-analysis-of-minecraft-like-engines/
http://0fps.net/2012/06/30/meshing-in-a-minecraft-game/
http://0fps.net/2012/07/07/meshing-minecraft-part-2/