Wow I am surprised C++ is so popular

"* The larger the code base, the less contributors and activity."

sounds reasonable but I will assume here that larger code base means more
users since its more likely to have more features. But for contributing to
code yeah people tend to avoid complex projects, obviously its far easier
to contribute in something much simpler. However large size is an
inevitable outcome you can only postpone it with clean ups unless of course
the project dies in the process.