Not in C but there std::string in C++ similar to our String object.

C char indeed is more a byte array than a string. Actually C won't allow to
change the string value mainly because it thinks you try to change the size
which something that is not allowed for arrays anyway, so the only way to
change a char string aka char array is character by character.

Null termination is why I filled the shared memory with zeros to be on the
safe side and then added the string and the number on top