On 9 November 2016 at 07:49, Dimitris Chloupis <kilon.al...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not in C but there std::string in C++ similar to our String object.
>
> Strictly speaking , std::string is again not part of C++ per se, it comes
from library that implements such class.

> C char indeed is more a byte array than a string. Actually C won't allow
> to change the string value mainly because it thinks you try to change the
> size which something that is not allowed for arrays anyway, so the only way
> to change a char string aka char array is character by character.
>
> Null termination is why I filled the shared memory with zeros to be on the
> safe side and then added the string and the number on top
>
> just wanted to warn you, to make sure you understand that char[100] is not
string, not in C , not in C++. And, of course, it should not autoconvert to
smalltalk String object(s) in FFI, because many C coders use 'char' as a
default data type to operate with buffers of certain length and to count
their size in bytes.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.