I find these endless git vs monticello discussions confusing and pointless.

Maybe we can hang Q&A list somewhere on pharo website to point to? Because git
is getting increased traction in Pharo, so the same questions and endless
discussions will popup over and over again.

1. Some people here are acting like STHub and Monticello is going away
tomorrow. I don't see how that can happen unless Pharo decides to fundamentally
redo its object model. (STHub may die to free some resources, but I don't think
that's a foreseeable future plan.)
2. Git is not "new", or "cool", or "bandwagon" technology; it has been here for
a decade and more than proven that its value (in fact git is older than Pharo
;)).
3. If you consider the nomenclature confusing because you don't understand or
use some concepts, that's fine. That's what tools are for (e.g. I don't use
`git add` with Pharo, because I can pick what changes I want with Komitter (
https://www.peteruhnak.com/blog/2016/08/12/fine-grained-committing-and-extending-nautilus/
 ) similarly Iceberg should be capable of this too (I am on Pharo 5 so iirc)).
4. Some comparisons between online git managers (github/bitbucket/...) and
sthub just show that people don't understand
e.g.
"i download a program, add something, upload my addition. lets take an upload
step, _one_ simple step with monticello
"i upload something once (git add), i upload it a second time (git commit), i
upload it a third time (git push), i try to upload it a fourth time (pull
request)"

The correct version for monticello is (from what I've experienced): I download
a program, add something locally, send mail to maintainer, wait, get
permission. Now I have complete control over someone else's repository. I
release a new version but make a mistake in configuration; now every downstream
project is broken and CI informs me only afterwards).
If said person doesn't want to give me full access, I have to fileout my
changes (or copy paste them), send them by email, wait more.
I don't find that a good workflow.

If you are working on your own project and want to ignore many things git has
to offer (which I do regularly for many projects where it makes sense), then
you can have literally the same "one click" with very little work (that can be
part of Iceberg/GitFileTree for anyone else to use). You click commit in pharo;
now it's on github (or wherever).

My views are certainly biased as I've been using git for long time before I
came to Monticello, which I still find very limiting.

If I am needlessly unfair towards monticello then please correct me --- which
is also part of my point; this knowledge shouldn't be hidden in mailing lists
(as they are usually disorganized by nature), but in some easily discoverable
and structured form (which I guess also loops this discussion back into the
original Google visibility topic ;)).

Peter