I think he forgets to mention Haskell, which is probably the reason behind
the shift of Swift towards optional values (Option type in Scala, Maybe
type in Haskell). You can't talk about modern type system without talking
about Haskell, Monads and Algebraic Data Types (Maybe is a monad).

I don't believe the future is dynamic typing, I believe it is type
inference and optional typing. There is no need to be radical about it. One
great sadly forgotten example of this is Strongtalk, which was rumored to
be the fastest implementation of Smalltalk ever made (I don't know how it
compares to the latest Pharo VM, though) and included an optional strong
type system (http://www.strongtalk.org/). Strongtalk team was bought by Sun
before they could release the language and their advancements in virtual
machine development were taken by the Java Virtual Machine. It is one of my
dreams to see Strongtalk back into action or maybe a version of Self with
optional typing, but I unfortunately lack the required skills and time to
do so.