I have a design question

why the library is implemented in functional style vs messages?
I do not see why this is needed. To my eyes the compact notation
goes against readibility of code and it feels ad-hoc in Smalltalk.

I really prefer

square := Map function: #squared.
take := Take number: 1000.

Because I know that I can read it and understand it.
>From that perspective I prefer Xtreams.

Stef