We started to work on making the system ready to stop using these files.
There are two things.
- the changes are a tape that logs what you are doing and right now
the system is not done to accept not to log
So I imagine that you can remove the changes file but then do not compile code.
- I do not get the "so I can't have changes file bundled with the tool."
you do not have a bat or script that launches the application that is
somewhere in a folder where you have the vm and the image? you could
have the changes file there.

We are interested in your scenario because last year I got a guy
working on making pharo silent. I do not know if its changes got
integrated into pharo.
This is really something that we want to have.
- having sources and changes in a specific location
- having no source and no changes (even if it means lose your code).
- ...

Stef