If you don’t mind - let me try a second attempt at paraphrasing what you are
saying (just to make sure I’m clear, but it might help others too).

We start each yearly cycle with an X0 new release (our current release is 6).
Then there may be point releases 6.1, 6.2 etc where there is a breaking change
(typically a new VM. Our last point release was 6.1).

Thought the year (typically every few days) there are  “hot fixes” that causes
an image number change (these have worked there way through the CI, and have
triggered a new artefect). These images can be found at
http://files.pharo.org/image/60/ <http://files.pharo.org/image/60/> (where 60
designates the last release cycle, we don’t use point designations for this
directory name).

When you download the latest point release, you are getting all the major
elements of that release plus any of the hot fixes that have occurred since
that official release. So you have the most up to date version of a stable
Pharo at the time that you download this file from: http://pharo.org/download
<http://pharo.org/download>

The implication of the above, is that if you want to revert to exactly what was
present in the launch of an official point release, you will need to download
the latest release from Pharo.org <http://pharo.org/> and then find the image
number that corresponded to that release at  http://files.pharo.org/image/60/
<http://files.pharo.org/image/60/> (is there an easy way to determine this and
then find that file? Or is there an official archive of the first point
release?).

If you want to say up to date, you should periodically download the latest
point release (or you can simply find that latest named image file from:
http://files.pharo.org/image/60/ <http://files.pharo.org/image/60/> and use
your current VM).

If the above is the case - it seems like a reasonable way of operating,
although it might be good to know what the exact image number was in the first
issued point release (just for traceability).

Have I now got it straight now?

Tim