Of all the responses here, I like this one the best because it's right on the
money.

In my long career, I've been dropped into many software projects where I had
to quickly ramp up with a new programming language. The employer didn't hire
me for my language expertise; they hired me for my programming skill and
ability to deliver good quality software on time. The programming tool used
was a mere technicality, and hardly an obstacle.

There is not a software developer alive who can coast through their entire
career without ever needing to pick up another programming language. This is
simply not an issue except for the most myopic of employers.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list wrote