Hi,

Shiny for the R language is a very useful technique to create responsive
applications based on Web technologies - with all the advantage the big
ecosystem of JS libraries offers.
With Shiny in mind, I’m working with Teapot on Pharo. Dashboard like use
interface with Processing (exactly: p5.js) and other things is in mind.
From my job, I do a similiar thing. But because of our IT policy, I have to
work with Python (using Tornado server and Dash) and SignalR for Microsoft .Net
(exactly: ASP.net)

So I can compare. And if I remember the work with Pharo many years ago, I can
state the following:

- The Microsoft Visual Studio offers a lot. It has many functions, assistants,
components and libraries and a huge bunch of documentation which support to
concentrate on the problem. Details are hidden, and even deployment is a matter
of minutes. But this professionallity has the downsize of complexity, and to
understand whats going on is not always easy. But if you manage this complexity
you can get professional apps in a reasonable time.

- Python is flexible and dynamic. I use the Anaconda distribution with Spyder
which has good support for interactivity and debugging. Many libraries of good
quality are available in the python world, you can tackle any problem. Also
here:  support professional software development in good time  is given. A
little bit more than Microsoft, the Python things are more understandable and
more lightweight.

Pharo, in its incarnation today (6.1) comes very near to this. Also Pharo has
many libraries, a good to use „IDE“ and professional tools for debugging and
profiling. BUT: Pharo is far more transparent. The interactivity and the
availability of every sourcecode in combination with the debugging capabilities
inherent to Smalltalk are helping to understand every thing. And Pharos today
documentation address now relevant but not to complicated problems, cover all
important tools and libraries and supports starting at beginner level. Pharo
has lost the nature of a expert or nerd secret magic wizard tool.

In this direct comparison, I had some wishes for the future of Pharo:

- Deployment: it should be possible to deploy a „single click“ application,
independet if native GUI or Web App or Shiny like
- More standard solutions: many libraries have examples, but they are sometimes
to trivial or just irrelevant for daily practice
- More product oriented: libraries should have more wizzards or application
pattern. Imaginary example: for Teapot or Seaside would it be fine if there
were some code generator for a 4 Tile dashboard app, or a data viz app, themes
like in hugo or bootstrap. I may be wrong, but the nature of many libraries or
tools is „make anything possible“ instread of „I help you to write your
product“. Do you understand what I want to say ?

Anyway. I can state: Phare IS on the right way. It is. Much much progress the
last years. Thank you all ! And if it becomes more and more a product for
professionals (in industry), the future will be top ! And this doesnet mean to
give up the computer science part. Pharo is cool to try concepts and ideas. So
Pharo has BOTH sides, which does it make great.

Cheers

Hans