Hi Andy,

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I think that we can do even
better that Mathematica notebooks with the Pharo ecosystem. Grafoscopio,
for example, is just starting (yes, its first commit was 3 years ago,
but the development has been pretty sparse at the beginning and it was
my first Pharo/Smalltalk "app") and we can do stuff that is difficult
(or impossible) to do in platforms like Jupyter or Mathematica. For
example, we adapted Grafoscopio for making the open sourced the Data
Driven Journalism Handbook (DDJH), Spanish version[1], and we have a
single self contained ~600Kb file that is able to produce a 13 Mb pdf of
300+ pages document with beautiful layout and design[2]. The self
referential properties of the Pharo environment give us a pretty
flexible DOM, and as you can see (in the screenshot below), all the
commands to produce the Grafoscopio Manual or the DDJH are *inside* the
notebook, so the way you tweak Pandoc to produce a particular PDF is
expressed in plain Smalltalk, without relying on any external JSON or
any other external format config files. And this is just the beginning
if you consider reproducible research, because the image metaphor is an
excellent way to preserve all computation state of any research output,
including data and code, as told in the Panama Papers post on Data
continuum environments[2a] and how we can package that in "pocket
infrastructures". See, for example, my 10 years old research simulation
and dynamic presentation, opening without any problem, a moth ago[3],
using Etoys.

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/
[2] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/uv/mapeda.pdf
[2a] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1
[3] https://twitter.com/offrayLC/status/927313455543091200

http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/doc/tip/img/notebook.png

So, if this is just what a (no son long) newbie can do while he is also
doing the PhD research and writing, without any funding from academia,
government or private sector, mostly in a hackerspace of the "Global
South", just imagine what we can do, for interactive notebooks and
reproducible research, with bigger community engagement and funding.
Despite of the Pharo alternative being "under the radar", interactive
notebooks, reproducible research and long lasting digital artifacts,
virtual research environments are a hot topic today and in the upcoming
future[4][5][6] and with things like the ones showed and the one
upcoming (GT Documenter, Pharo 7, Iceberg Git/Fossil integration), we
can have a privileged position in that developing ecosystem.

[4] https://khinsen.wordpress.com/2015/09/
[5] http://opendreamkit.org/
[6]
http://blogs.sub.uni-hamburg.de/ifla-newsmedia/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Boss-Broussard-Challenges-Facing-the-Preservation-of-Born-digital-News-Applications.pdf

Pharo/Smalltalk can take us further that any current platform and now is
a empowering medium for prototyping such visions.

Cheers,

Offray