Sean,

I am not a regular Pharo user, so I have no code example for you. Just an idea:
why not save an image copy instead of the image itself? Thus if an error occurs
that might not happen at next startup (external dependencies etc.) , you couldĀ
restart the "real image" and still use the failed copies to analyse your
startup problems.

I guess Pharo can do a "Save image as..." ?

Joachim