Thank you -- of course ! I had that  "ui close" in my code !!! , I'd expected
the
form to take control until I exited the form itself and had not considered
the code would 'fall straight through' to the 'ui close'

The example form now displays on Pharo's World and is active as expected.

>From my experience with trying to get this example working, I think the
chapter needs a bit of expansion & more explanation
about some features used. The Class method creation verse the instance
methods being an example. I guess the authors assume most people will have
worked with Pharo  without jumping straight to the GUI interfacing !!

Thank you all for your help, getting this example running is a very
important step to understanding Pharo's UI.