Hi - last night we managed to explore the new contribution process as well as
the new iceberg ui at the U.K. Smalltalk meetup last night.

Not many had seen it before so it was a good test run.

As an initial comment - we need to invest a small amount of time to get the
right docs in places you expect them as not doing so undoes a lot of good work
-  the Pharo main site that points to old contribution docs (and doesn’t
reference the new ones) must be updated ASAP to keep energy high (we almost
lost a few folks last night by going down the wrong path - fortunately Cyril
piped up on Discord for me - phew).

Armed with the right steps it was straightforward - much easier than the older
slices mechanism (that I never was comfortable with) - so HUGE thanks for that
everyone!

As we worked through it, the more git seasoned folks were confused why git
status in a terminal wasn’t really showing the same info as iceberg (I’ll put
this in a separate thread to discuss, as it’s an interesting thought which I’m
sure has lively discussion).

Anyway - the new UI does take some getting used to (personally I liked the
compactness of the original Iceberg and its tabs), but when you understand what
the different windows show you - I think it makes sense (and hopefully is more
stable). We all missed having an obvious Diff mechanism - we later spotted that
Commit does show this (Although possibly calling it “Commit…” might make it
more obvious that you have a chance to review changes and change your mind) -
but knowing the size of your change and reviewing them without any danger of
committing something is a useful feature (but maybe a 2.0 enhancement request?).

One small tweak (which I would PR if I knew how to - would be to swap  the
status and branch columns in the Repository window  to make the status  clearer
(the status gets lost as it sqashed against the normally much longer branch
name).  Its a simple change to #initializeRepositoryList but I guess Iceberg is
in a different repository (and not in the instructions for contirbutions).

We also noticed that if you try to use the “Create Pull Request” menu item, you
can’t if you have 2FA enabled on Github (the recommended setting) as I guess
that ssh protocol doesn’t allow this with an ssh key? So I we should update the
instructions to suggest either using the web ui - or - creating an app specific
login (that doesn’t use 2fa). - I’ll look at how to add that tweak and send a
PR.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone