#1. Who would pay me??? No company nor organization (even Smalltalk-related)
cares enough about Smalltalk to hire a full-time advocate.

And even if they did, I have no track record at all in marketing and
advocacy. They're buying a pig in a poke.

#2. It I didn't step up, no one would. There is no other person on this
planet who has the time nor inclination to take on this huge, thankless
task.

Smalltalk deserves a better fate than to languish in obscurity. It is so sad
and pitiful to see where it is today, especially when it was once the most
popular OO language in the world after C++. Smalltalk just barely made it
onto the Top 100 at TIOBE this year. Just barely.

#3. I believe in Smalltalk. More importantly, I believe that the language
has the power to transform the software industry. If it can double the
world's software development productivity – on average – imagine the impact
on the global economy. I'm not spewing bullsh*t here.

So this is my personal belief at work.

#4. I saw a unique opportunity. Of all the less-than-major programming
languages in the world (Clojure, Crystal, Dart, Elixir, Elm, F#, Go,
Haskell, Haxe, Julia, Kotlin, Nim, Racket, Red, Rust, etc.), Smalltalk is
the easiest one to advocate for. It's the one with the best chances of
success. Why?

- its historical legacy
- its actual popularity in the 1990s
- its commercial track record
- its technical merits like simplicity, conciseness, live coding, etc.
- its scientifically proven productivity, thanks to Namcook Analytics

All of this allows me to tell a good story. A damn good story. And that's
absolutely key in any marketing campaign.

I could've devoted my time and energy to Elixir or Go or Nim. But it
wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying. I saw an opportunity, and I took
it. And I haven't looked back.

Travis Ayres wrote