Hi,

Yes, Grafoscopio exist to overcome limitations of Jupyter as Andrew
says, its lack of a object model but also its overcomplicated
architecture[0]. I have said that in some way, Grafoscopio and
JupyterLab[1] are following opposite paths. The last started as an
interactive notebook and is trying to become an IDE (with "I" for
Interactive, not for Integrated) and the former started from the Pharo
IDE and is trying to provide interactive notebook capabilities.

[0]
http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/grafoscopio-idea-and-initial-progress.html
[1] https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab

At some point is also a deconstruction over the idea of the Active Essay
proposed by Alan Kay and his team. I think that the problem with the
Dynabook is that is so rooted into the future that, when time passes and
the present occupies the place of the vision from the past, it usually
does with some subobtimal but popular technology (the web, Java, CORBA,
you name it). At some point I think that this is because, despite of the
Dynabook being from children from 6 to 100 years, most of the research
was done with children and teenagers and the adult world was occupied by
those other popular technologies and because the world is inherited by
the majority of adults to children we have the world that we have today.
I wonder what happen with the Dynabook kids? How are they now as adults?
It seems that the role of becoming and adult (or being already one) was
not deeply deployed by the Dynabook and there is a lot of room to do in
that place, for teachers (as DrGeo and Hilaire writings are showing),
for researchers, journalists, investigators, activists, as Grafoscopio
is trying to show.

At some point I would like better integration between Grafoscopio and
GTDocumenter, but is a project that advances slowly with a solo main
developer and with not wide use in the Pharo community (I think is
because the use of Markdown instead of Pillar, among other reasons) or
other commit contributions. In that sense is pretty similar to other
FLOSS projects that are coded by one or two developers. But for the last
quarter of this year the local community is going to make some kind of
anti-bootcamp and I hope to show some advances in Grafoscopio in the end
of the year as a result of this.

With Pharo 7 and the eventual integration of GTDocumenter in future
Pharo releases I think we could be approach/deconstruct the Dynabook
even more.

Cheers,

Offray