On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 1:19 AM Tim Mackinnon <tim@testit.works> wrote:

> Hey Ben - I’m not sure that this actually does the same thing. I just
> tried it now, and it resulted in an extra merge in my forked repo - as I
> think this effectively pulls down from upstream into pharo and then if you
> have any differences in your local image copy they might cause some changes
> which then you would push back into your fork origin.
>
> If you just want a verbatim copy in your fork - you have to resort the
> command line?

Ah! well merging may do two things:

 - create a merge commit (in case of diverging history)
 - do a fast forward (just update your branch)

The thing is that you want to **undo** your changes before merging,
otherwise you'll have a dangling commit there that you did not want :).
You cannot do that from Iceberg's UI right now, you can do it from any
expression evaluator:

"Rough equivalent of reset --hard HEAD~1"
repository branch commit: repository branch commit parent.

But even then, Iceberg does not (yet) implement push --force, because we
never found a useful use case (other than bad practices) to it.

This is important: if you have made changes to your repository, then
"making a verbatim copy" means to undo your changes.
Even from the command line, what you may want to do is: move to another
branch, remove your "to-sync" branch, fetch from origin, checkout
origin/"to-sync", push force to your fork. But you may lose your changes...

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189