not quite what you asked, but... apart from their size, one advantage of
FPGAs and Arduino & ESP32 microprocessors
over purpose CPUs is providing deterministic real-time latency (i.e. sensor
inputs controlling motors).
For that domain a strong contender in a Pi-like format is the Programmable
Realtime Unit of the BeagleBone Black.
http://beagleboard.org/pru

40x faster response time than the main CPU of BeagleBone (and Pi).  See
slide 11...
https://elinux.org/images/1/1c/Birkett--enhancing_rt_capabilities_with_the_pru.pdf

cheers -ben