Hi Christopher and Tim,

Thanks for your comments!

I agree that managing the README from Pharo is not the most important
use case, I just mentioned it because everyone know what a README is.

A better example of what I want to do is Pharo's Help system. It stores
the individual pages as methods that return a literal string. That's one
way to store data in a package but it looks like a kludge. More
importantly, it is very difficult to use or edit the pages outside of
Pharo.

A better way to do something like that is to store pages as plain text
in the same repository as the classes that use them. But that requires
that the class can access the files as "file xx/yy/zz.txt in the same
repository from which my code was loaded". And if the class modifies the
text file, that change must be committed somehow.

I suspect that the read access part is doable somehow. The repository
checkout in pharo-local contains all the files, so it's just a matter of
figuring out the path. It's committing changes that requires some
support from Iceberg, which you says is not available if I understand
correctly.

Konrad