I also thing we need to do it « a la smalltalk » and consider workflow split
over multiples images. Does A4BP or BPM flow manage that ?

What exactly do you want to split over multiple images ? It can be only applied to parallel tasks.

1) The execution of the workflow ? Task1 executed by VM1, Task2 executed by VM2 and so on ...

2) Task Assignment for different users ?  Suppose there are 4 parallel task to be done in a workflow these task are split to different VMs.

3) Add here any other options to split over multiple VMs.

BpmFlow does not support 1) for ScriptTasks, i think for this you will need a master VM to orchestrate the execution.

Definitely 2) is supported, on the same BPM Process different user tasks can be executed by different VMs (remember Bpm Flow run on GemStone, it should be ported to Pharo first). I talking about a Frontoffice application here (different from case 1) where at the same time different users can take an available task (of the same BPM Process) to finish and eventually these tasks can be served by a different VMs.

Actually 1) can be implemented in BpmFlow without a master VM. Let suppose that a one point N Script Tasks (long and complex scripts) are generated in the same BPM Process. Those Script Tasks can be put on a RcCollection (or a table if you use a RDB) and multiple VMs can access that collection and execute tasks. I just added this an issue: https://github.com/brunobuzzi/BpmFlow/issues/845

Bpm Flow does something like this for Timer Events (events collection can be accessed by multiple VMs):

https://bpmflow.gitbook.io/project/functional-and-technical-information/timers/task-timers

Regards,

Bruno