On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:18 PM horrido <horrido.hobb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> I have a question for everyone. Someone has taken me to task for being
> "sexist". He says I should refer to "grandparent" instead of "grandfather".
>
> I'd like to ask for your opinion. Would "grandparent" sound better in my
> article? Imagine replacing all instances of "grandfather" with
> "grandparent". Would it have the same impact?

Arguably, it is sexist. But, I think it is also accurate. I am guessing
that better than 99% of grandparents driving Maserattis are or were male.

I think we sometimes rely on dogma rather than reason. Still, it is worth
being aware of the word choices you make and whether they may be
inappropriate for the circumstances.