Smalltalk is that times 10,000...  (I wrote an entire SMB accounting system,
including tracking "perpetual inventory" in Excel/VBA.  I was between tech
jobs at the time..)  So, yeah, it will be an excellent vehicle to recast
your "toy app".

Yes, Alan Kay did get his Bachelor's in molecular biology, and that informed
a lot of his ideas of how software systems should be designed & constructed.

For the Gedankenexperiments, they're not in ProfStef.  ProfStef is just the
"dipping the toes into the water" introduction to Pharo.  At the end, it
prods you to download & go through "Pharo By Example", which is booklet #1
in a 3-booklet series.  (The other two being "Deep into Pharo" and
"Enterprise Pharo".)

That's very good advice...  You'll find it here: http://books.pharo.org/

Note that PBE5 (written as v5 came out) is *not* obsolete at all, but PBE8
is out now in draft form.  Look in Section 10.5 in PBE5 for the particular
G/E I referred to.  You'll also find it in the Pharo MOOC in Week 2, Lession
11, "The Essence of Dispatch".