At some point in the history of Win 7, MS changed the rules for file lookup

   /Standard Search Order for Desktop Applications/
   /The standard DLL search order used by the system /
   /depends on whether safe DLL search mode is enabled or disabled./
   /Safe DLL search mode places the user's current directory later in
   the search order./

At some point, MS enabled safe DLL search mode as default. It is now part of the Windows security barrier, and I dare not change it. A program I had scheduled to start every day stopped working when I moved the program to a new computer with a new edition of Windows. I'm hoping the creator of the program will fix the problem. In the mean time, I have to remember to start the program manually every morning. This applies to Win7 and Win 10.

Hope this helps even if it doesn't solve the problem.
--Trygve