Hello Alex

> Hello. I would like to modify the text-editing UI in Pharo to add some
> affordances I’m accustomed to from MacOS. Specifically, right now
> command(a.k.a. meta)-left/right-arrow moves one word left/right in Pharo,
> whereas on MacOS this is done with the option(a.k.a. alt)-key, and
> command-left/right-arrow moves to the start/end of the current visual line.

We would love you to be able to do it.

> Another MacOS convention I use a lot and would like in Pharo is triple-click
> to select a whole paragraph. And if I can implement that, I would also like
> to disable the corresponding Pharo convention (double click at the start or
> end of the paragraph).
For the tripple-click I do not know.

Now if you want to try use the headless vm (because we are introducing SDL20 as
a backend to capture event and expose them to the user
so you will be able to get all the events from the OS and not some as it was
previously the case) and ask.
Using SDL20 we were able to implement several gesture recognition in the past.

> Some smaller things that I’m also not used to: When moving the text cursor
> one word at a time, Pharo treats white space as words, whereas MacOS skips
> over white space. Conversely, when double-clicking to select a whole word,
> MacOS treats white space between words like a word, whereas Pharo selects the
> adjacent word.

Yes Pharo could really improve from that perspectiv. If you provide a fix we
will really look at it and probably accept it.
At some point we want to have move to the end of the next word. :)

> So anyway, I’m wondering what I would have to modify to customize these UI
> conventions. I didn’t see anything relevant in the settings browser. (There
> was a "Skip over white space” option under "Text Editing," but it didn’t
> affect how the move-cursor-one-word-at-a-time keystrokes work, so I don’t
> know what it does.) Does anyone have any pointers on where these behaviors
> are encoded in the system?

Check the keymapper.
And what you should know is that we are not happy with the text editor (Rubric
was never made to stay).

> Or if someone has already posted a package for customizing this sort of thing?
>
>     Alex Landraitis

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52