Hi David,

   for M1 we have Pharo 9 compatible VMs, you can download them using Zero
Conf or directly.

For the latest:
  - wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vmLatest90 | bash
  - http://files.pharo.org/get-files/90/pharo-vm-Darwin-arm64-latest.zip

For the stable:
  - wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/vm90 | bash
  - http://files.pharo.org/get-files/90/pharo-vm-Darwin-arm64-stable.zip

If you are scripting the download I recommend using ZeroConf.

For Pharo 8, we don't have a M1 native version, because Pharo 8 requires
changes in the image to support the newer VMs. We have plans to backport
the changes in the future, now we are putting all efforts in the release of
Pharo 9. However, if the community consider it, we can switch priorities
but it is not magical; we will need to leave something aside. Also, future
versions of the Pharo Launcher will have support for detecting the
architecture.

In the meantime, Pharo 8 / 9 can be used without a problem with Rossetta,
although the performance is not ideal.

Tell me if you have any problem.
Cheers,
Pablo