Um, I think all this argument is based on a misunderstanding. Dan was not the
one who called Bob a cripple, it was someone else who said those words to Dan,
and Dan passed the quote along to illustrate a point. Now I will butt out, I am
not taking sides, I just wanted to clear up a point that seemed unclear.

Peter Fraser <pjfra...@alamedanet.net> wrote:  if calling a guy "a bitter old
cripple" isn't slander to you, i'd
hate to hear how you speak of your enemies. and even if these are
someone else's words, you repeated them, so now they're yours.

i'm sorry you've never heard any of his best work. maybe someday
you'll be lucky enough to do so.

bob suffered from polio and was indeed a "cripple." he was confined
to his apartment, literally dragging himself around on the floor at
times. the old phonos and their music were a way for him to escape
the hell he was enduring in the present by transporting him to a
sweeter past. and many of us benefitted from his confinement because
it gave him the time to fiddle and tweak and refine the old
soundboxes with often-miraculous results. ever delaminated an edison
ricepaper diaphragm to see how many layers it has? ever hand-shaved
an orthophonic needle bar to lighten it and see how that might
improve sound?

damn tootin' he was cranky at times. and sure, he came up with some
outlandish claims and psuedo-scientific theories. but when he was
on, he could make a soundbox sound better than anything you've heard,
and he could be the most engaging, funny, and kind person you've met.

finally the pain was too much for him, and he did himself in. but
the last thing he did, and we know this from comparing the postmark
and the police report, was mail a trove of excellent reproducers to a
long-time customer and fellow enthusiast..."hold on to these...i'll
be going away"

yeah, he hung up on me dozens of times too, but he was my friend.

ok, enough. back to the music, please.

-- Peter
pjfra...@alamedanet.net