----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Houston" <cdh...@earthlink.net>
"RCA actually startede the 45
 system in 1939, and had it pretty well ready for production during the war,
 but couldn't do anything with it then."

Is there any readily available material I can study on this subject?  The
development of technology is one of the most importants parts of this hobby
for me (particularly failed formats), and this pre-war 45rpm thing is coming
as a total surprise to me.  I knew Bell Labs (or was it Western Electric)
had developed the 45/45 stereo groove in 1929 and then sat on it for 30
years, but this other is news to me.

By the way, if it came up in this conversation because we're dicussing what
threads should and shouldn't be welcomed here, I'd like to postulate that if
anyone actually has one of these pre-1949 45rpm machines, we'd all damn sure
like to hear about it!

thanks,
Robert