I guess I got started young, comparatively, but then my earliest interest
was more about records than phonographs.  My granny's best friend when I was
a toddler was the assistant of a program director at a Memphis radio
station, and since I had appropriated all my family's records by age 3, my
default Christmas/birthday presents were always records, mostly 78's but
many obscure white-labels, advertising records, you name it.  I was eaten up
with fascination for anything that turned in a circle and anything with a
sharp point, and created many phonographish toys (and destroyed plenty of
records in the process) as a youngster.  Then one evening, our neighbors,
whom we'd known for years, showed us one of their random possessions -- a
cylinder player, probably an Amberola 50 (though it could've been a 30 but
seemed bigger to me then) and maybe a hundred cylinders.  I went ape over it
and asked them to keep playing more cylinders all night.  They rewarded my
enthusiasm with a DD of Dalhart's "In The Baggage Coach Ahead", which
changed the way I thought about popular music and songwriting in general.  I
was 13.

With every record, from since I can remember, I've gotten the sense of
peeking through a window at a frozen moment in another place and time, and
cherished that like magic.  I remember staring into the grooves of any given
favorite and wondering, amazed, how this inanimate, cold piece of material,
this squiggly line pulled under a sharp rock, was capable of making me feel
things so intensely.  I still feel the same way.

happy & safe new years to all,
Robert