I had just that happen on a music box I bought in England.  I paid for
shipping and insurance.  It was poorly packed.  So much so, that the
bedplate casting was broken in three places, every tooth on the combs
was broken and the case was demolished.  The seller accepted no
responsibility and said it was mine the moment he got my money.  The
shipper would not pay on the insurance nor would the seller pay up.  I
hounded him for two years on the internet whenever he tried to sell
anything.  His reputation was in the mud.  Eventually, he gave me back
my money.  I believe there are a lot of people like him out there.

Ken D.