Ouch.  But Rich, did you see or get a receipt for the 'professional'
packing?  Do you know what company you could've blamed for it (and who we
should avoid)?  Are you positive the seller didn't just pocket the money?

I've only used pro-packers a couple of times, always as a sender, never a
receiver...  I sent two very costly electric guitars north to get them set
up and outfitted with some special parts, and I watched the person at
Mailboxes, Etc wrap both guitar cases in plastic wrap to keep them tight
together, then she wrapped that with 2 layers of large bubble wrap, put that
assembly into a box, put that box into a larger box stuffed tightly with
peanuts, sealed it up, and off it went.  Everything came out great.  My
other experiences went pretty much like that one did, once with very heavy
yet very delicate hifi components costing nearly $10k.

Two things -- one, I'd make sure the seller got me a receipt, a number, or
something they could back up the claim of using a professional packer with.
I'd tell them before I ever sent payment that they would need to provide
proof and tell me who they used.  I'd call the place they used and confirm
it with them; it's in their sales records, and most places pack it and mail
it out themselves, so they'd know.

And two, a point I meant to include in the trips/tricks compendium (heh
heh) -- every time I get a box that's clearly marked FRAGILE! in big letters
on every side of the box, it's fine.  Every time I get a box without
FRAGILE! on it, the box has no shape left to it by the time I get it.  The
last thing I always request in my "here's how to pack that thing you're
about to send to me" email is for the seller to get a Sharpie and write
FRAGILE! in BIG letters at least once on every side of the box.  If I want
to be an ass to the USPS, etc., I have them write HIGHLY INSURED!! all over
it, too.  That's one they take pretty seriously, cuz that's gonna cost their
bosses money if something happens to it (or so they'll be inclined to
think).  I also find that things like "GLASS!!", "DO NOT DROP!", and the
actual contents, like "ANTIQUE PHONOGRAPH RECORDS!" help out, too.

I got the hint to write what's in the box on the sides from the father of a
good friend who's now a retired postal worker.  He said the package stops
being just another anonymous box if what's inside is written on the outside.
It can impart a sense of pride to a mail carrier if s/he knows why that
package is so valuable.  Mind you, this man didn't work for UPS or FedEx,
both of which may have a very different vibe for employees.

At the end of the day, they're (we're) all human, and where there's human,
there's error.

Best,
Robert