My packaging store story is another reason not to rest easy when
using professional pack-ship places.

I was having a mahogany Herzog cylinder phonograph cabinet shipped,
which was taken to a store to be packed.  This is one of the models
with the interleaving shelves and rounded front (710).  When it
arrived, I knew right away there would be trouble.  The moment I saw
it come off the truck, I could see that it had been dropped, and the
top of the carton was accordioned badly, indicating that it had taken
a long drop on its head.  This was supposed to have been "triple
boxed", with extra cardboard at the bottom to offer some protection
to the bun feet.  The only "triple" in the packing that the "shipping
carton" had been pieced together from three sections of recycled
boxes, all of them soft as could be, and without a rigid or double
wall panel in the bunch.  The packing inside was relatively loose,
and there was no inner box, let alone two.  To add insult to injury,
there was a gaping hole in the side of the shabby carton, with
peanuts and clear tape oozing from it and, you guessed it, the side
of the cabinet got gouged.  If it had been packed as represented, it
would have at least had a chance to escape that damage.  Of course,
the primary instruction to put additional protection at the bottom
was completely ignored.  They had thrown three left over box flaps on
top before sealing it, and that was it.

I was able to get a refund from the seller on the packing & shipping,
for which I had been charged $380.00.  But I have to be content to
live with the shipping damage or refinish it.  The seller was also
helpful in coaching me on the materials used in the refinish job that
had been done on it prior to shipping, and when life settles down
enough to free up the time, I plan on redoing the whole cabinet.
What should have been a joyful moment was made a miserable
disappointment.

My only other experiences with using a professional pack-ship company
were an antique lamp with shade shipped separately (different
shipper, same shoddy materials; badly damaged shade), and a
relatively small but heavy brass National cash register (model 317),
which had been packed with crumpled NEWSPAPER.  The only
thoughtfulness in that packing job was that they had (fortunately)
removed the two glass panels that form the top compartment and taped
them to the inner curve where the front panel meets the upper part
(with tape that left gooey adhesive embedded in the fine brasswork.
It arrived with a bent over upper side panel (the part that goes up
alongside the glass).  Fortunately, I was able to straighten the
metal without cracking it, and consider myself to have been extremely
lucky to do so.  The premium above and beyond the actual cost of
shipping for this service was $60.00.

I'm sure that there must be reputable pack-ship companies out there
but unless you KNOW that a particular company is being used and have
seen that they use quality materials consistently, I believe that
you're taking your chances much the same as dealing with any unknown
party.

Andy Baron