If the mainspring is slowing the motor down it will also thump to let
you know where the problem is.  If it is not thumping then it does not
have enough drag to be causing the problem.

If the lead screw is bent it will do just exactly what you describe and
it will happen at the same spot more or less.  You can look down the
lead screw as it rotates and see if some errant hand has bowed it.  They
bend fairly easy.