Antique is a moving target, and I think it always has been.  Regarding its
legal definition for purposes of insurance claims against shipping damage, Rich
is right, it does need to be clearly stated, though I think 100 years is too
many, personally.  I've also found more than one source saying 100 years is the
typical consideration (none of which were wiki-related).

Seems it's a bit like "unique", another word murdered by popular usage and
general misunderstanding.  There are no degrees of unique -- it means literally
one of its kind in all of existence.  That one gets me worse than "antique"
does.

Fun story, Peter.  I know people less than half your friend's age who are still
to scared to embrace modern (computer) technology fully, even though in their
youth they were anything but Luddite.