ger,

In my previous post on this subject I said that I had long-ago heard that the
100-year old rule of defining an 'antique' came from Federal tax code, and I
think it probably comes from the importation rule to which you refer.  As I
also said in that post, dealers used to assiduously avoid calling an item an
'antique' unless it was demonstrably 100 years old.  I don't know how many
people on the board were into antiques 43 years ago, but I can assure you that
back then, that was the way it was done.  And ger, you are correct, phonographs
were largely considered junk by the vast majority of dealers because they
simply weren't old enough to be considered antique, and besides that, they were
plentiful back then.  I never used to look for phonos in the front rooms of
antique shops -- I'd head straight to the back 'junk' rooms and there they'd be!

re: pet peeves -- It bugs me when an eBay or Craigslist listing refers to a
phonograph (or anything) as a "unit".  "This unit works great."  Also, "ones" .
. . "This is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen" ("It doesn't look like
the numeral one, it looks like a Victor VI to me," I'm thinking! Redundant, as
well).  And "guts", as in ". . . cabinet only, the guts have been removed".
Are those really the best words they can come up with?  "Specific is terrific,"
my third-grade teacher, Mes. Norlund, used to say when teaching us how to write.

It took me a moment to figure out what "EAPG" meant right out of the barrel
like that, but, the context and recalling what you had previously posted
allowed me to figure it out pretty quickly.  Mrs. Norlund also used to tell us,
"Write like the reader doesn't know anything about what you are writing about."
 BTW, it is spelled 'Sumerian', not "Sumarian".  LOL!  Sorry, just had to kid
you a little there!