MERLE;

I'm sure your boyfriend knows it, but I'll say it here anyway. Chevrolet
offered a radio for their cars in 1934,and I believe, also '33. It was in two
forms. Both mounted to the left of the steering column, and cantilevered off
the firewall. The control head was part of the radio case, and protruded out
from under the dash,about flush with the dash surface. One model, the 600566,
had the speaker in the radio case, and it shouted out toward the passenger side
of the car. The other model 600565, had an external speaker in a cylindrical
case, that mounted in the middle of the firewall. The only difference in the
two sets was the power amplifier stage in the set,which gave more output from
one model, than the other. While it's true of the '34 Chevies, the mounting
holes for the radio were already punched in the firewall for the radio and also
for the speaker. They may be there in the '33's as well. The fabric top of the
car has the antenna built into it, with the lead-in coming d
 own the driver side "A" pillar.

I'm a car collector myself, with 9 Cadillacs, an Oldsmobile and a 41 Chevrolet
convertible. The Chevy has the 5 band radio in it, with lots of  very good
audio. You can drive down the road with top down, and the radio going at a good
level. It's almost like a sound truck, I live in the country, so I can get away
with stuff like that.

Anyhoo, if your pal has one of the Chevy factory sets in the '33, he could have
a break-in audio input jack put on the set, reachable from the driver seat, and
used with a portable battery operated CD player.