To: <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Cleaning a phonograph. Wax removing.

Hi Gabriel,

For basic motor cleaning, remove the motor from the machine and find a container large enough to fit it in. Fill the container with kerosene and let it soak for several days. Use a toothbrush to remove sludge from gears and small parts. Kerosene will not harm your motor and will actually lubricate it. When you are through, you need to re-grease the spring, if possible. Grease will continue to leak from the motor for awhile, since the kerosene dissolves it, so you will want to put a rag under it after it is re-installed. I also use WD 40 and spray lithium grease to re-lube the motor. WD 40 also will remove crud from the wood cabinet or painted surfaces without harming the finish - I use it on my BMW to remove tar, etc. It's a great product and has many uses, like removing sticker glue, tar and grease. It is also wonderful for re-energizing the paint on a horn. On black horns, I touch up scratches with a Sharpie marker and/or liquid gun bluing (gun bluing works great to "age" metal parts) and then clean the horn with WD 40. On painted or flowered horns, it cleans and deepens the colors. Neither kerosene or WD 40 will harm painted or nickel finished parts. WD 40 also restores and cleans 78 records and Amberol cylinders. Some people will disagree with that, but take a dirty, scratchy 78 record and try it - it will improve the sound and make it look better - and absolutely NO damage to the record - spray it on and wipe it off. I have used this method for over 30 years and have never had any damage to my records. It will not dissolve 78 rpm records or celluloid, but DO NOT use it on wax cylinders!!!

I can't help with the parts, but what do you mean by "click-fitting" system. Are you talking about the latches on an early Edison?

Hope this helps,

Curt